Late summer offers the widest range of foods available during the year. Some of the most delightful fruits and vegetables are at their peak in August. Berries are still plump and juicy this time of year and fresh lettuce can still be found at the farmers market.
Here are 5 foods that are best to enjoy in the month of August.
- Heirloom tomatoes. These colorful and meaty tomatoes go way beyond the flavor of a conventional tomato. Each variety of heirloom has a unique taste.
- This culinary vegetable is mild in flavor and can take on many different uses in a recipe. It’s delicious grilled, roasted, sautéed or blended into a dip.
- The crisp of a garden fresh cucumber is a true sign of summer. They can stand alone on a veggie tray, make a refreshing salad or be turned into pickles.
- Swiss Chard. This vegetable is not only beautiful to look at it’s also very nutritious. Swiss Chard is a super green in the beet family that is quite tasty when cooked to perfection in soup, casseroles or dip. It can also be blanched and used as a tortilla.
- They are not only great eaten by themselves they can also be added to a variety of recipes as the key ingredient. A peach chutney atop a pork chop, or peaches in a mixed green salad are a delicious way to enjoy this late delight.