Our brain is a vital organ that works as the control center for the body. The foods we eat play a big role in the health and structure of our brain tissue. In fact, many studies have shown that nutrient-dense foods can improve mental clarity. Antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids can help improve memory, focus, and overall support brain function. Here are five foods to eat regularly so you can have better brain health.
- Berries. All berries, especially blueberries, have a compound that helps fight inflammation. The antioxidants found in berries aid in communication between brain cells and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disease.
- Eggs. A morning egg routine can help boost your mood and memory. Eggs are loaded with B vitamins which help fight dementia and depression. Eggs also contain choline which the body uses to support long-term memory.
- Fatty Fish. Salmon, mackerel, sardines, and whitefish are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Deficiencies in omega-3s can cause cognitive issues and lead to depression. About 60% of the brain is made up of fat-containing omega-3s that help produce brain and nerve cells.
- Leafy Greens. Broccoli, spinach, kale, and collards all provide an array of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin K helps form the beneficial fats inside many brain cells.
- Nuts and Seeds. Pumpkin seeds and chia seeds provide magnesium, iron, and copper. These nutrients help control nerve signals and our ability to retain information. Nuts like walnuts provide healthy fats and more omega-3 for a sharp memory.