5 Ways to Stay Healthy During the Holiday Season
A big part of any holiday gathering is food. Delicious seasonal appetizers, entrees, and desserts are a festive part of many get-togethers. Holiday favorites are often higher in calories, but that doesn’t mean you have to skip these seasonal treats. It simply means it’s wise to adjust our thinking and expectations around mealtime and snacks during the holiday months.
Here are 5 tips for staying healthy during the holiday season:
- Be mindful of your appetite. Simply eat when you’re hungry and know how to politely say no when you are full. It takes a few minutes, at mealtime, for your brain to receive the signal that your stomach is full. Allow about 10 to 15 minutes after finishing your plate before you go for seconds.
- Choose veggies and fruit at each meal. When a meal is only one food group it tends to be less filling, causing you to eat more. A well-balanced meal helps keep you full and satisfied.
- Stay hydrated. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. Be sure to drink at least 8 cups of water per day. If you enjoy alcoholic beverages over the holidays try to drink a glass of water between each drink.
- Bring healthy foods to holiday gatherings. If you are asked to bring an appetizer or dessert to a party, consider bringing one that is delicious and moderate in calories. Colorful vegetables and fruit-based desserts are beautiful ways to celebrate the holiday season.
- Adjust your workout schedule. Because the holidays typically adjust your social calendar and work schedule be sure to plan according to your workout routine as well. Fit in multiple small workouts or workout at home with a new online video.