Baked Hummus and Spinach Dip
Posted Mar 9th, 2015
The newest addition to our team, Michelle, made this delicious dip for our Best Choice Team birthday celebration. It was a hit! She shared the recipe with us, so try it out for yourself and let us know what you think.
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 20-25 minutes
3 cups Best Choice canned Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas), drained, liquid reserved
1 or 2 garlic cloves
¼ cup Best Choice olive oil, or to taste
Salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup Best Choice shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375˚
2. Put the chickpeas with ½ cup of the chickpea cooking liquid (or water) in a blender. Add the garlic and olive oil, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Purée for a minute or 2 until the mixture is very smooth. Add more chickpea cooking liquid or olive oil as you like until the consistency is like a smooth dip or thick soup.
3. Transfer the purée to a medium saucepan over medium heat (or use the microwave); heat through while stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice, then taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as needed.
4. Place spinach in the food processor and pulse a few times until spinach is shredded.
5. Combine hummus, cheese, and spinach is a small casserole dish. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cheese should be melted and hummus hot. Serve with pita, crackers, or veggies!